mardi 31 mai 2016

MFA

Ok. I'm going to tell you all about my trip today but first! I got the sweetest present ever! My very generous and very talented friend Ferris knitted me a shawl! And it matches the blanket she made for my goddaughter. Awwww!

Shawl with note from Ferris.

Me and my shawl!

Me using the shawl on my head.

Today I went with my friend Olive and her daughter (Former Nannying Kid) to the Museum of Fine Arts. I was going to get us library passes but it turns out Olive is a member so we got in for free! I've been dying to see the "#techstyle" exhibit and she has wanted to see the "Megacities Asia" exhibit so it was a perfect plan.

The #techstyle exhibit contained some really cool stuff. Threeasfour's Harmonograph dress which is shaped like a swirl and based on the Fibonacci sequence, Pauline Van Dongen's neoprene black dress with solar paneled collar that can charge a cell phone after two hours in the sun, Kate Goldsworthy's Zero Waste Dress, Ying Gao's Incertitudes shirt and short which respond to audio waves, and Issey Mikaye and Jun Mitani's 123 5 Collection which are origami inspired sustainable recycled polyester dresses fold into flat polygons for easy packing. Plus lots more...

"Molecule" Shoe by Francis Bitonti Studio Inc.

Anthozoa Cape and Skirt by Iris van Herpen and Neri Oxman with Prof. W. Craig Carter.
Ensemble by Noa Raviv.

The #techstyle exhibit even has Viktoria Modesta's spike prosthetic leg. For those who don't know, she's a Latvian pop star and MIT fellow who had her lower leg amputated when she was 20 and she has incorporated really awesome prosthetics into her futuristic image. Here's an example:


The Megacities Asia exhibit is actually sprawled throughout the museum (plus outside the Huntington entrance and at Faneuil Hall), just like megacities sprawl. A megacity is a city with a population of over ten million and Asia has more than any other continent. This exhibit has works by eleven artists who respond to the conditions of their home cities Beijing, Shanghai, Delhi, Mumbai, and Seoul by making sculptures using objects they encounter in daily life in those cities. Here are some pictures I dug up online of the exhibit:

Snake Ceiling (2009) by Ai Weiwei.

8' x 12' (2009) by Hema Upadhyay. 

Forever (2003) by Ai Weiwei.

If you live in MA or the surrounding areas and can make a trip to the MFA to see these exhibits, I think it's totally worth it.

Me in front of the MFA.
Olive and Former Nannying Kid in the exhibit.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire