mercredi 4 septembre 2019

Vineyard Day 2

Today was my second day at the Vineyard with my dad and I decided to pull out my most ridiculous hat: the shark hat. Why? Because Martha's Vineyard is the filming location for the movie Jaws. And the famous bridge from the Jaws movie was our first stop for the day.

Jaws movie poster.

In addition to my shark hat, I wore a fish bone necklace, a blue shirt, and the same pink shorts and sparkly sandals as yesterday. Here I am in my hat by the Jaws bridge in Edgartown:

Me making a grrr face on the Jaws bridge.

My dad apparently thought I was just going to wear my shark hat for the Jaws bridge photo op and then take it off. Sadly for him, he was mistaken. I was determined to wear the hat all day. Next up was a trip to Chappaquiddick - a tiny island that is part of the bigger island of Martha's Vineyard. We got there via the Chappy Ferry, a small two-car ferry.

They have a Japanese Mytoi Botannical Garden that we decided to explore. They had my favorite plant ever - ghost pipe. They also had a fish pond with fish and turtles and dragonflies.

Dad at the botannical garden.

Ghost pipe plants.

Dad looking at the pond.

Me and my Dad. He convinced me to take the hat off for the photo.

Turtles and fish.

After wandering around the garden, we decided to go on a Chappy Lighthouse Tour. To my dad's dismay, the hat came along with me. The tour involves driving around the island and over sand dunes via jeep. Apparently the trick to driving on sand is to let some of the air out of your tires. As someone who has had his car stuck in the sand, I wish I'd known this information earlier in life. We saw cormorants, osprey, a northern harrier hawk, and. And we got to eat beach plums!

Going across the bridge to the restricted area.
We're driving on sand!



Photo of the sand dunes and sky.

Sand, sky, and sea.

A beach plum in my hand. They look like blueberries but taste like kind of tart plums.

Climbing the lighthouse spiral staircase.

Ladder to the top of the lighthouse.

Me at the top of the lighthouse.

View of the roads from the top of the lighthouse.

After our tour, we went back to Edgartown for ice cream at Mad Martha's. Then it was off to the beach near the Jaws Bridge!

Getting back on the ferry to Edgartown.

A picture of my cup of ice cream in front of the ice cream counter.

The path to the beach.

After the beach, we went back to the house to chill and then headed to Sharky's Cantina for dinner. I was thrilled to be able to wear my shark hat at Sharky's. My dad kept asking if I was done wearing the hat yet. Nope!

Me in my shark hat next to a shark statue at Sharky's Cantina.

After dinner, we went back to the house and dad stayed in while I made a run to Backdoor Donuts in Oak Bluffs. When I was younger, this place was more of a secret. When it started, it was just a local bakery that sold doughnuts out of their back door in the wee hours of the morning while they baked the next morning's batch. Now that people have hyped them up on the internet they've changed the entire bakery's name to Backdoor Donuts and there was a huge line of people waiting to get their doughnuts. Luckily for my dad and I, their apple fritters are still as amazing as ever.

Back door donuts!

My apple fritter. Yum!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire