jeudi 16 mars 2017

Still Skirt Week

I started off the day with another completely inappropriate for the weather outfit because I figured all I was doing was setting up the new apartment so it didn't matter what I wore. So I pretended I was on Cupcake's cruise in the Bahamas instead of in snowy Massachusetts and I wore a super comfy pajama dress that Joy gave me when she was purging her wardrobe. Of course, halfway through the day I decided to go out after all, which meant digging out my car which was entombed in ice. So I didn't actually wind up wearing a skirt all day. Oh well…

The dress is a tank-top dress that is long and stretchy with red, yellow, teal, and black triangle and zigzag patterns. I'm wearing my seahorse necklace, my anchor earrings, black nail polish and toenail polish a teal scarf, and a big floppy black and tan striped hat.


Head shot.

Body shot.

Attempting to get all of me in the picture but basically only got the top half.

Also, I spent some time today thinking about skirts. There's a double standard when it comes to gender-bending clothing. Women can get away with it much more easily than men and the reason for this is misogyny. Women are already at the bottom of the sexist hierarchy, so a woman dressing masculinely is ok because we think men are better than women and masculine dress is seen as more powerful. Conversely, men are at the top of the hierarchy so a man dressing femininely is considered unacceptable because society considers femininity worthless and degrading so it's seen as bizarre for someone with male privilege to find value in it. Obviously this is an oversimplification, but for proof of this idea you don't have to look very far. For example, masculine girls are labeled "tomboys" and are seen in a mostly positive light whereas feminine boys are labeled "sissies" and are mocked and tormented by other kids and even adults. I wish I could snap my fingers are change this, but the best I can do is put effort into fighting sexism and continue to dress more bravely than I feel so that other men and boys who might be stifling themselves to fit into masculine gender norms can see that they aren't the only ones and that it's ok to express yourself without fitting into those boxes.

Picture of a boy in a plaid skirt, blue shirt, necklace, and khaki button down shirt.
He is holding a piece of paper with a feminism symbol and there is black overlaid text that says:
"Girls can wear jeans and cut their hair short, wear shirts and boots because it's ok to be a boy.
But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading, cause you think being a girl is degrading."



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire