mardi 9 février 2016

Mardi Gras

Well, I've finally figured out how to get some space on the bus in the morning. Show up dressed for Mardi Gras! Here you go:

Me in a black feather boa and a silver and black face mask with black feather plume.
Also, I feel like since it's Mardi Gras I should make a mini comment on New Orleans. I've always felt interested in New Orleans since it was founded and settled by the French (like Québec, where my family is from on my dad's side). Then after Hurricane Katrina some folks from my school raised money to help out and I went out there and hooked up with a local church doing cleanup work. I was horrified by the shitty government response and the resiliency of everyone I encountered there rebuilding, and helping out there did a lot to shape me as an antiracist activist.

On a sillier note, New Orleans is also home to of one of my favorite musicians: Big Freedia. You can hear her on Beyoncé's new track "Formation" (which kicks ass) - I literally did a dance of surprised squee when I heard her on there. And frankly, you should check out her solo stuff because it's awesome and without it I'm not sure what we'd dance to at my favorite monthly gay dance night.

Big Freedia looking fierce. 
Also and unrelatedly, Texas and I are going to a seminar called "The Cross-Dressing God" about Hinduism. Because he's Hindu and I cross-dress. Ha!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire