mardi 23 février 2016

Financial Goals

I just finished posting about my fitness goals, and since I've already talked about finances on this blog I figured I should share my financial goals. Here they are:

Pay Off Car
At my current rate of repayment, I should be done with this goal in 16 months.
Car made of money.
Pay Off Timeshare
This may have been a financial mistake - time will tell. At any rate, I need to pay the thing off.
Cartoon of people on a tiny island surrounded by sharks saying
"Could be worse - we could be surrounded by timeshare salesmen…"
Eliminate Credit Card Debt
I'm pretty sure my tax refund will be enough to finish this goal. 
Person cutting up credit cards.
Eliminate Medical Debt
This goal is going to take me a while. About $4,000 of my medical debt is in the form of a loan from a friend, who I'm slowly repaying with dog walking and other random work. The other $3,000 is owed to a bank and it's at a 4.5% interest rate.

Stethoscope on top of money.
Pay Off Student Loans
My student loans are currently deferred because I'm in school. I'll probably continue deferring them while I focus on paying off my other debt and going to school for nursing. I've got under $9,000 left, which is a big improvement from how much I had when I graduated!

College graduate shackled to large weight labeled "loans."
Save For Retirement
I have a Roth IRA, but I want to switch institutions because my current one is underperforming. Ideally I'm hoping to find somewhere good performance and solid ethics. Once I do that, I'll start putting more money in. I don't have the option of payroll deductions so I calculated out 5% of my income and my plan is to have that much money automatically transfer every two weeks when I get my paycheck. Once my credit card is paid off I'll up the amount to 10% of my income since I won't be making credit card payments.

Old woman making the devil horns hand gesture.
Set Up A Rainy Day Fund
My goal is to be putting 5% of each paycheck into a rainy day fund, with the eventual goal of having $10,000 in there. I have to figure out where to put this money, though, so it makes more interest than my bank account. Maybe in a money market or savings bonds? It has to be somewhere I can cash it quickly if I need it for an emergency.

Person under an umbrella made of money.

Give to Charity
I'd like to start out with putting aside $20/week to give to charity. My eventual goal is to increase that to at least 10% of my income. I grew up in a Christian family and I still love the idea of giving back 10% of your income to God. However, I can't in good conscience give money to the Church because I won't help finance their anti-gay, anti-trans, and anti-woman agendas. The point of tithing is to put God first and give your financial support to God's work. Because of that, I feel confident that I can tithe by giving to charities that align with my values. I'm calling it my alternatithe. Get it? Anyway, I plan to work up to 10% once I get the debt situation under better control, ideally by the end of this year.

Person holding a jar of pennies that says "charity."

What Motivates Me?
Why do I have financial goals? Lots of reasons. The most obvious one being that I want to be in charge of my life and I can't do that when I'm living paycheck to paycheck with creditors breathing down my neck. The most personal one, though, is that I want to have kids.
Chameleon (I think?) and its baby.
When my husband left I thought my dream of a family had just walked out the door with him. A couple of years and a lot of therapy (and some meds) later, I no longer feel that way. I still want to be a parent, though, and that means preparing myself to become a single parent. As I mentioned on here already, I just sterilized myself. Before I did that I did gamete banking in case I want to have a biological kid. The likelihood of that happening is rather slim since I'd need a donor and a surrogate and a buttload of money for the medical procedures, but I figured it couldn't hurt to keep the option open. That said, I've always been more excited about (open) adoption. Adoption gave me the world's most kickass brother, plus his siblings and aunt and uncle. It gave me an awesome younger cousin. I have friends who were adopted and friends who chose adoption for their children and friends who are adoptive parents. I think it's an awesome way to build a family. But whichever way I choose to make a family, I want as much financial stability as possible before I take on a kid (or two, or three) as a single parent. Hence all the financial planning.

Baby wrapped up in money.
What are your financial goals? What dreams would you like to accomplish that could benefit from more stable finances?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire