lundi 22 février 2016

Friends Don't Let Friends Skip Leg Day

Ok. While looking up leg exercises, I came across this meme:

Silhouette of a man lifting weights with very buff arms and skinny legs,
text says "friends don't let friends skip leg day."

I find it problematic in ways it was obviously not intended. What the meme is trying to say is that you shouldn't neglect half of your body when you're doing your workout, which is apparently something a lot of people do.

Here's why I dislike it, in addition to the fact that it's usually written on a picture of an actual person and I don't condone mocking people for their appearances: it's ableist. Lots of folks who use crutches or wheelchairs have upper bodies that are more muscular than their lower bodies. My brother has cerebral palsy and he has this body shape. This meme makes fun of his body. For the record, my brother also thinks I'm over thinking this. He's also a much more get-along kind of guy than me. I mean, only one of us went through a stridently militant vegan phase (*shrug*). At any rate, I think this meme does a disservice to people with this body type and it could possibly make them feel bad about their bodies.

So for the record, I'm letting you know - there is NOTHING wrong with this body shape. You can be sexy and have this body shape. You can be a total badass and have this body shape. And in case you don't believe me, let me give you a few examples of rather awesome people who will be skipping leg day...

Oracle, from Batman. She is a paraplegic martial artist who is also a librarian and computer genius. What's not to like about this character? She kicks some serious ass:

Oracle comic fighting a super villain.

In real life we have Dergin Tokmak, a paraplegic dancer who was in Cirque du Soleil:

Dergin Tokmak, shirtless, doing a handstand on his crutches. 

Back to fiction we have Professor X, leader of the X-Men. He's a telepathic paraplegic super-genious:

Cover of X-Men comic with Professor X in his wheelchair.

And back to real life again there's Angela Rockwood, a paraplegic and a professional model and actress:

Angela Rockwood sitting in her chair looking good.

There's also Colt Wynn, a paraplegic and professional bodybuilder who I find hot as hell:

Colt Wynn in his wheelchair looking sexy as usual.

There are lots of other awesome disabled folks (FDR, Frida Kahlo, RJ Mitte, Sudha Chandran, Josh Blue, and my brother come to mind) who have this body type. So basically, friends don't let friends skip leg day. But they also don't let ableist memes pass by without comment.

Can you think of some more people I've missed who should be on this list? It would be awesome to fill the comments section with examples of kickass people who will be skipping leg day.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire