jeudi 3 mars 2016

Working Out!

It has been about two weeks since I posted about working out so I thought today was a good day to share the workout structure I've settled into. If you remember, I had some structural changes and some specific fitness goals.

The structural changes are going well. Taking the bus to work was an easy switch, as was taking the stairs all the time. I would like to note that both Texas and Morning live on the fourth floors of their respective buildings and I underestimated just how many times I'd be running up and down four flights of stairs in a day. But it's still less annoying than I thought it would be. The change that has been the most annoying is walking or biking everywhere under five miles.  Specifically, when visiting friends. When I made that resolution I was thinking about running errands in town and I forgot that both Tea and Surrogate Mom live under five miles away. Which means I'll be walking or biking to them from now on. Whoops! At least the weather is getting nicer…

Homer Simpson acting out how I feel after climbing stairs all day (he is dragging himself up by his hands and whining)

In terms of my specific goals, I have made no progress on the ballet, yoga, kickboxing, or rock climbing goals. I have attempted to do cartwheels with hilarious results and I think I'm going to save cartwheels and handstands for spring/summer. I've been doing stretches in the hopes of improving my flexibility for the splits. So far no splits, but my right leg which had been hurting constantly since I pulled it after surgery has finally stopped hurting. I'd say that in itself is a worthwhile accomplishment. The pushups, sit-ups, and squats are going swimmingly. I've started lifting weights to help me with my pushup and handstand goals and also because lifting weights makes me feel like a badass. I started doing leg workouts with weights too since I figured why not?

Lois Lane in a short dress and heels doing arm curls.
Clark Kent says "Ready to go Lois?" and she says "Whenever you like Kent."

What else? Running. My friend Karaoqueen has agreed to do a 5K color run with me when I'm ready. Now all that remains is to find an appropriate run and train for it. I've started the Couch to 5K training schedule laid out on this website. I'm modifying it though by allowing myself to stick on a week if I need to instead of pushing myself on to the next week whether or not I'm ready. I'm midway through week one right now and I'm already starting to think I dislike running. Which is unfortunate, because I really am enamored with the idea of running triumphantly across a finish line. I don't suppose it'd have the same feeling of joy if I just set up a finish line in my back yard and ran across it. At any rate, I plan to keep it up until I reach my 5K goal but I may retire from running after that. There are so many more enjoyable types of exercise out there.

In terms of conundrums, I still can't do a pull-up. This, frankly, is unsurprising because I am fat so there is more of me to lift. I find myself wishing I had one of those assisted pull-up machines to help me work up to it. After several sad attempts I found myself despairing. How do you work on pull-ups when you can't do a pull-up in the first place? Luckily, I've found this article to help me. I have hope. I am determined. After all, who knows when pull-ups may come in handy? What if there's a zombie apocalypse?

Runner with a caption that says "Work out to be fit and sexy? Hell no… I am training for the Zombie Apocalypse."
Anyway, in all of my internet searches I've found that you are supposed to alternate what you're doing on different days. So here's my new daily structure:

Sunday - COUCH POTATO DAY!!!
Monday - Chest and Triceps
Tuesday - C25K and Abs
Wednesday - Back and Biceps
Thursday - C25K and Abs
Friday - Legs and Butt
Saturday - C25K and Abs

I usually do a tiny bit of cardio on the weight lifting days. My new favorite indoor cardio thing to do is the stationary bike. I play music I like and bike along, then when the chorus comes I pedal like crazy. So it's basically interval training but it keeps me amused. I also like setting up mini circuits for myself with squats and burpees and mountain climbers and stuff. Because I like to pretend I'm slaying it on one of those ninja warrior shows. To be honest, I've been thinking a lot about making myself obstacle courses in the backyard or something. I keep googling various obstacle courses for adults. Maybe this is my next project?

And last but not least, I should mention my swolemate. She's also doing well, and has been an excellent source of positive encouragement during this endeavor. I'm happy we're helping each other out.

How about you? Do you work out? What's your favorite form of exercise?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire