jeudi 2 février 2017

Resolutions - One Month In

Well it's February second. Today I accompanied Cupcake to divorce court. Here's a picture of our accidentally coordinated outfits:

Me and cupcake. I'm wearing a light purple button down with a grey sweater over it.
My outfit coordinates with Cupcake's eye makeup. 

That's not what I want to post about, however. Instead, because we're one month in, I figure now is a great time to update about my New Years Resolutions. Here we go…

Diet
Tracking my food has been easy and really interesting so far. I'm saving the list for the end of the year reveal, but I'll say that I've added a category titled "Laziness" for food I could and should have made myself and that "Chocolate" is its own category. One problem I failed to anticipate was how often I feed other people. Adding this in means that the totals for what I eat will probably be slightly inflated but I'm keeping it in there because I'm looking less for how much I consume and more for an accurate gauge of how much food I would actually need to plant for the year and that will include feeding house guests. In this same spirit, I'm not including food I eat while visiting friends because I wouldn't be planting food for that.

Exercise
I'm signing up for one of this session's classes at Esh Circus Arts with Bone. Registration opens on Valentine's Day. I've also been working out sporadically at the gym at my work since it's free and exercising outside is too cold.

Picture of a fat white woman doing circus tricks.

Finances
Things are going swimmingly. My most recent charity donation was to CAIR Massachusetts aka the MA chapter of the Council on American Islamic Relations. They're America's largest Muslim civil rights organization. I decided to donate to them because I feel sickened by the anti-Muslim sentiments of my government and I wanted to do something to help Muslim Americans.

Photograph of a woman using an american flag as a head scarf.

The charity I donated to before that was to United We Dream, which is the largest immigrant youth-led organization in the nation. Their mission is "to organize and advocate for the dignity and fair treatment immigrant youth and families, regardless of immigration status." This donation was in response to the anti-immigrant policies the government has started rolling out.

Spirituality
I've restarted my daily gratitude sharing with Feather. I've also gotten back in the habit of regular prayer and church attendance. 

Blue text on a yellow background that says "Become Love."

I'm working hard on my "become love" motto. It's harder than you would think to stop judging other people. For me the judging isn't about how other people look but about how they act. The biggest problem for me are that I get incredibly frustrated by people who I feel aren't working hard enough to improve themselves and their life situations. The problem is that a lot of the time these people aren't just "lazy" they're struggling with mental illness or some other problem that is impeding their ability to do better than they are doing. Given that other people's lives are really none of my business anyway, I think I could be a lot kinder than I am about this. 

Also, as I've been working my speech with the true/kind/necessary rule, I've noticed that I have a couple of friends in particular who seem to bond by complaining about people they dislike and it's hard for me to redirect the conversation and avoid getting sucked in. I need to figure out what to do about this.

To-Do List
So far I've knocked one off my to-do list: get a professional massage. 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire