mercredi 13 février 2019

Luganda and Candy Men

Oli otya?
Gyendi.

This means: "How are you?" "Fine."

It's also the only thing I can say in Luganda, the most widely spoken language in Uganda. The official languages are English, Swahili, and Ugandan Sign Language. After independence in 1962, when they were trying to choose a second official language besides English, people outside Buganda were opposed to having Luganda as the national language and people in the Buganda kingdom thought other tribes' mispronunciation and grammar errors would ruin their language. So Swahili won out despite being less widely spoken than Luganda. And now that I'm going to the LGBT Asylum Task Force where there are lots of immigrants from Uganda, I've decided I should start learning a few phrases.

In other news, I've found the perfect man for me, just in time for Valentine's Day tomorrow:

Me with chocolate in the shape of a man wearing heart boxers.

The only other news I have is that today I had an elderly Italian patient with dementia who legit went to battle with the phlebotomist because they thought the phlebotomist had given them the evil eye. I hope I have that much vigor in my 90s. I was very happy that I knew enough Italian to diffuse the situation.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire